- 2008-2011: PhD in Computer Science, UNED.
- 2006-2008: MSc in Language Technologies on the Web, UNED.
- 2000-2005: BSc in Computer Science and Information Engineering, Mondragon Unibertsitatea.
- 2014-: Post-doctoral research fellow, University of Warwick, Coventry.
- 2013-2014: Post-doctoral research fellow, Dublin Institute of Technology, Dublin.
As a research fellow at the Centre for Applied Data Analytics Research (CeADAR), funded by Enterprise Ireland, I worked on research and development of effective data analytics interfaces. The aim of the research project is to develop interfaces that facilitate extracting insight from business data for users that are not necessarily skilful in analytics.
- 2012-2013: Post-doctoral Research Associate, Queens College and Graduate Center, City University of New York, New York.
I worked on the use of information extraction techniques for social media mining, especially applying such techniques to process newsworthy information. Among others, I developed a social media based newsgathering tool, which I experimented with journalism practitioners. Further focusing on assisting journalists with social media data, we studied verification of social media updates, as well as optimal journalism practices to guarantee maximum diffusion of contents on social media.
- 2010: Visiting researcher at the Knowledge Management Institute, Graz University of Technology, Graz.
I spent three months as a visiting researcher, under the supervision of Markus Strohmaier. During that time, we collaborated on the behavioral analysis of users on social tagging systems, with the aim of finding the users that most accurately help produce a social book classification.
- 2008-2011: Research fellow at the NLP&IR Group, UNED, Madrid.
As part of the NLP&IR Group at the university, I pursued my graduation as a PhD in Computer Science on the study of user annotations from social tagging systems to accurately categorise resources, under the supervision of Raquel Martínez and Víctor Fresno. Additionally, I investigated on real-time mining social media updates to provide users with updated summaries of ongoing events, as well as characterising and identifying the origin of emerging trends on social media. I also collaborated on various research projects (see below) on text and resource classification by leveraging social media data.
- 2007: Freelance web developer, Barcelona.
I was self-employed working on the development of numerous web sites.
- 2006-2007: Web developer, VilaWeb, Barcelona.
I worked at the Catalan online news media VilaWeb on the development of a online video news platform VilaWeb.tv.
- 2005-2006: Programmer, ULMA Handling Systems, Oñati.
- English: Full professional proficiency.
- Basque: Native.
- Spanish: Native.
- Catalan: Professional working proficiency.
- Programming: Python, PHP.
- Statistical Computing: R.
- Databases: MySQL, PostgreSQL.
- Visualisation: d3.js
- 2014-: PHEME, Computing Veracity, the 4th Challenge of Big Data. Funded by the European Commission within the 7th Framework Program.
- 2015: Developing a Flood Memory App: Sustainable Social Informatics for Flood Risk and Resilience. Funded by ESRC.
- 2013-2014: Centre for Applied Data Analytics Research (CeADAR). Funded by Enterprise Ireland.
- 2012-2013: Army Research Lab’s INARC (Information Network Academic Research Center). Funded by the US Army Research Lab.
- 2012-2013: DARPA BOLT (Broad Operational Language Translation). Funded by DARPA.
- 2011: Holopedia: The Automatic Encyclopedia of People and Organizations. Funded by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation.
- 2010-2011: OPENMT-2: Hybrid Machine Translation and advanced evaluation. Funded by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation.
- 2008-2011: MAVIR/MA2VICMR: Mejorando el Acceso, el Análisis y la Visibilidad de la Información y los Contenidos Multilingüe y Multimedia en Red para la Comunidad de Madrid. Funded by the Regional Government of Madrid.
- 2008-2010: QEAVis: Quantitative Evaluation of Academic Websites’ Visibility. Funded by the Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation.
Scholarship and Awards
- 2012: Best PhD award, UNED.
- 2011: Scholarship to attend Wikimania 2011, Wikimedia Foundation.
- 2009: Scholarship to attend ACM DocEng 2009, ACM SIGWeb.
- 2009: Scholarship to attend Wikimania 2009, Wikimedia Foundation.
- 2009: Scholarship to attend the TrebleClef Summer School on Multilingual Information Access, TrebleCLEF.
- 2008-2011: Research Fellowship at the NLP&IR Group of the UNED University, Region of Madrid.
- Co-organiser of RumourEval 2017, a shared task on determining rumour veracity and support at SemEval 2017.
- Co-organiser of SMnews 2016, the Social Media in the Newsroom workshop at ICWSM-16.
- Co-organiser of TweetMT 2015 at SEPLN 2015
- Co-organiser of TweetLID 2014 at SEPLN 2014.
- Social Media, Networks, Systems and Services Track co-chair at SocialCom 2014.
- Co-organiser of Tweet-Norm 2013, the Tweet Normalization Workshop at SEPLN 2013.
- Co-organiser of RAMSS 2013, the Real-Time Analysis and Mining of Social Streams workshop at WWW 2013.
- Co-organiser of RAMSS 2012, the Real-Time Analysis and Mining of Social Streams workshop at ICWSM-12.
- Workshop Chair for Hypertext 2012, the 23rd ACM Conference on Hypertext and Social Media.
Program Committee Membership
I've been part of the program committee or served as a reviewer for:
- Journals (see Publons profile): IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics, Information Sciences, Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology (JASIST), PLOS ONE, Scientometrics, IEEE Intelligent Systems, ACM TOIS, ACM TOIT, ACM Transactions on the Web, Information Processing & Management, The Computer Journal, AI Communications, Natural Language Engineering, Health Informatics Journal, The Journal of Web Science, Semantic Web Journal, Distributed and Parallel Databases, Human Computation, The Journal of Community Informatics, International Journal of Computing and Digital Systems, International Journal of Big Data Intelligence, Linguamática
- 2017: CHI 2017, CSCW 2017, ACM Hypertext 2017, IoP 2017, HCSC 2017, SNOW 2017, MSM 2017, SoMePeAS 2017, SemDeep 2017, IkerGazte 2017
- 2016: CHI 2016, CSCW 2016, IUI 2016, SocInfo 2016, COLING 2016, LREC 2016, AAAI-16, HICSS 2016, IoP 2016, HCSC 2016, NewsIR'16, SNOW 2016, MSM 2016, NECO 2016, WoTBD 2016, CSSWS 2016
- 2015: CHI 2015, CSCW 2015, IUI 2015, EMNLP 2015, TVX 2015, Hypertext 2015 DC, I-KNOW 2015, RDSM 2015, MSM 2015, AAAI 2015 Workshop On AI For Cities, SPS 2015, #SMSociety15, MUSE 2015, WoTBD 2015, MobiApps 2015, CSSWS 2015
- 2014: CHI 2014, WebSci 2014, LREC 2014, IEEE AINA 2014, CSCW 2014, Computation + Journalism 2014, CSSWS 2014, I-KNOW 2014, SP 2014, ChASM 2014, MSM 2014, VUMLA 2014, MobiApps 2014
- 2013: SEPLN 2013, MUSE 2013, I-KNOW 2013, IEEE CPSCom 2013, ACM Hypertext 2013, MSM 2013
- 2012: Industry Session at ISMIS 2012, SIGIR 2012, Wikimania 2012, ACM Student Research Challenge at Hypertext 2012, LREC 2012, CICLing 2012
- 2011: ACL 2011, Wikimania 2011
- 2010: SMUC 2010, ACM TIST Special Issue on Search and Mining User Generated Contents, Wikimania 2010
See section Publications